Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I Digress...

Well, I had intended to talk a lot about the nuances of negotiation, but I think that will have to wait until next week.  I have quite frankly had too much time in front of the monitor today, perfecting an article I have written for inclusion in a book.


Which book, I hear you ask?


I'll tell you.  As unbelievable as it may sound, some of my thoughts on my approach to mentalism are going to be published in the Psycrets organization's upcoming book.  Psycrets is a sort of trade union for practicing mind readers, and I am very pleased to be a member.

I have always freely shared my ideas and techniques with others in the craft, as they have generously done the same with me.  Over the years and throughout this sharing process, I have had some excellent feedback from my peers in the industry regarding some of the ideas that I have produced, and I was encouraged to put them down on paper.  I took their advice and the result is a sizable body of work, growing larger every day.

One of these items made its way into the hands of Dr. Todd Landman, who contacted me yesterday and informed me that Psycrets was preparing to publish a book compiling some of the works of its members.  He then asked me if I would be willing to allow one of my ideas to be published.  I acceded to his request, and the book is due to be published next month.  

So I have been typing and editing and formatting all day long in order to ensure that what I send along is the best quality I can produce.  Looking it over now that it is finished, I am gratified to announce that I am satisfied with it in every respect.  In addition, I am very pleased at the opportunity to have my work included in a book alongside the thoughts of other performers in mentalism whom I esteem so highly.  

I have also been encouraged to release some of my work in a book series.  I am still debating whether or not this would be a good idea.  Mind readers are secretive by nature about the combination of techniques that allow them to read a person, and I have mixed feelings about sharing the techniques that are unique to me.  

Time will tell.

Since I am off topic anyway, I thought I would take a moment to plug "Atomic Robo".  This is without doubt, the wittiest, most entertaining and engaging comic available today.  

I haven't fallen in love with a comic book for years, as I have long felt that they no longer speak to my interests.  

In fact, I've long felt that most of the creations out there have ridiculous powers and fight people who have even more ridiculous powers (if they weren't on at least an even footing with the hero, then no real moments of tension could occur).  Consider - early super heroes included the Fantastic Four.  A guy made of rocks, a stretchy man, a girl that turns invisible, and her brother who can burst into flames and fly.  But then, somehow over time, the whole thing morphed and new names had even greater powers until eventually, the only way to garner an audience was to introduce a laughably implausible plot line about a purple dude who is a demigod and who gets a glove that makes him omnipotent.  He can literally think people into oblivion.  HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Anyway, the point is that I haven't found anything on the shelf in a long time that recaptured some of the interest and excitement I had in these floppy little periodicals.

And then I met Atomic Robo.  He is a robot.  He was created by Nicola Tesla, and he is a scientist.  

An "Action Scientist".  Imagine the Mythbusters armed to the teeth with electricity guns, and fighting impossible scientific dichotomies made corporeal.

Each story is eminently well written and drawn, and the dialogue between the characters (especially as regards the scientific theory that is currently being defied by some blood-sucking monster) is unforgettable.

Atomic Robo takes me on fantastic adventures in science...

And I love him for it.

Next week we will talk about negotiating.  I promise.

Maybe.








No comments:

Post a Comment